- Nutritional meal that is inexpensive and delicious. Most men will eat this quiche! (Psst.. call it a pie and fake 'em out to eat it!!)
- Laura and Jay's Mom
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped spinach, drained if frozen is used
- 1 cup (225 ml) summer squash, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated cheddar, yellow for color
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) half and half
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
- 1 prepared 9 or 10 inch Quiche shell (Savory or regular Pie Crust)
- Saute squash and onion until tender and place in prepared quiche shell.
- Top with spinach and cheese, and sprinkle this cheese mixture with 1 tbsp (15 ml) flour.
- Combine beaten eggs and half and half and the paprika, garlic and any other seasoning you may want to try in bowl.
- Next, slowly pour half and half and egg mixture over the cheese in the quiche shell.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35 to 45 minutes.
- If you'd like, be comfortable with using Swiss Cheese or a combination of Bel Paese, Fontina, and Parmesan for a great flavor.
Also, this can be pumped-up for a heartier suppertime meal with the addition of 2 cups of chunked ham.
As a decorative touch, when I want to make this look really pretty, I use thin sliced red onion rings and small sprig of rosemary or dill from my garden. It is a delicious added touch too!