- If you grew up in the 50's, 60's or even the 70's, it is a sure bet you had some Carrot Raisin Salad
Serves/Makes:6-7 1/2 cup servings
- 3 cups (700 ml) grated carrots, about 3/4 pound, use a little more if you like.
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can crushed pineapple in juice, drain lightly, reserve juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins (I use more to my liking)
- 2 tablespooons mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) reserved pineapple juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- Place the carrots, pineapple, and raisins in a medium bowl and toss.
- Combine remaining ingredients together in a small bowl; pour over carrot mixture and stir well.
- Chill before serving.
- Use reduced calorie or non-fat versions of mayonnaise if you want to have a salad that is within calorie and fat dietary restraints.
Also, taste your carrots, if they are not tender and sweet, add a little extra sugar.
Carrots should be a nice true orange color, slender and fairly uniform in size. Big huge carrots are often times less flavorful and "woody" textured and not a good choice for this salad.
At the holidays, I jazz this recipe up by doubling it and adding some shelled pistachios and more raisins, and I always use Hellman's or Best Foods (same brand, different names for the different coasts of the USA).