- This is a wonderful way to enjoy fresh tomatoes from the garden when the bounty is abundant. It is also a delicious and elegant side dish.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 servings of one tomato each
- 6 firm medium sized tomaotes
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) of salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper or to taste
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp (5 ml) dried
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- Oil a large shallow baking dish.
- Cut tomatoes horizontally and place cut side UP in the dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Combine parsley, basil, and garlic and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle 1/4 tsp (1 ml) of olive oil on each tomato half.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- As a hint, I sometimes mix 1/3 cup of dry breadcrumbs and 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese together with the parsley and basil for a different crispier cheesey flavor and texture.
These go extremely wonderful with grilled meats, roasted meats or a side dish for seafood kabobs with pineapple, green pepper and onion.