- 2 cups (475 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) apple butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Stir in 3/4 cup (175 ml) apple butter, apple juice, margarine and egg.
- Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared pan.
- Spread remaining 3/4 cup (175 ml) apple butter over batter.
- Gently pour remaining batter over apple butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 65 to 75 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from pan and continue cooling on rack.
- Recipe taken 08/28/01 from Virginia Apple Growers Association's internet website at: