- CBS' Chef on a Shoestring, Gerry Hayden Aureole's recipe.
- 1 lb (.5 kg). seedless green grapes (Reserve eight grapes for garnish)
- 1 pint plain nonfat yogurt (Reserve 2 tsp (10 ml) for garnish)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnut pieces
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) coriander
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz (28 grm). Canola or blended oil
- Sourdough bread (crust removed) or substitute with French baguette
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 oz (28 grm). White wine vinegar
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley (picked leaves) *(Reserve eight leaves for garnish)
- In a saute pan heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) of canola oil, add walnut pieces and spices, and lightly toast.
- Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Soak bread in the water until double in size or very soft.
- In a food processor or blender, combine all but two tbsp of walnuts with the garlic and parsley (remember to leave eight leaves of parsley for garnish).
- Blend, scraping down sides. Be careful not to turn it into a paste.
- While machine is running, add grapes and puree until smooth.
- Remove bread from water, reserving liquid.
- Add to grape mixture; puree mixture. It should be the thickness of sour cream.
- Add some reserved water and yogurt (all but two tsp for garnish).
- Blend in the olive oil and vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Soup should be the consistency of heavy cream.
- Remove from the blender and chill.
- To serve: Cut grapes (the ones you reserved for the garnish) in half and divide soup into four chilled bowls.
- Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt, parsley leaves, toasted walnuts, and halved grapes.
- (Submitter's Note, I would use all or half White Grape Juice instead of just water in this recipe).
This recipe was taken on 08/28/01 from the CBS News' Chef on a Shoestring website at: