Creamy Cauliflower (Includes a Cheese Variation)
- Standard recipe for a great side dish.
- S. Chokel
- 2 small or 1 large heads of califlower
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) whipping cream (use more if you like a thinner sauce, or less if you like a thicker sauce)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- grated Swiss or Parmesan cheese, optional garnish
- toasted chopped nuts, optional garnish
- sliced stuffed green olives, optional garnish
- Clean, core and steam cauliflower until just tender.
- Set cauliflower in a serving bowl and break or cut into serving size chunks.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add butter, salt and pepper and beat with a mixer. (Start slowly and go higher, and have the butter at room temperature for best results)
- Gradually add cream until desired texture.
- Slowly pour (or drop actually) over the cauliflower, making sure that the sauce covers all the chunks.
- Top with desired garnishes and serve.
- This is the easiest version of creamed cauliflower in the world. You can also make a desired thickness of your favorite white sauce recipe and use it rather than making the above recipe.
When I use the White Sauce method, I usally make it with a touch of dry mustard, another touch of paprika, a smidgeon of nutmeg and 1-2 cups of our favorite cheese(s). Oh, very, very good!