- Cati, WA
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). ground beef
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups (1425 ml) cooked or fresh tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chili powder
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) salt
- 1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seed
- 3 cans red beans
- Brown meat and drain fat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook slowly till onions are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serves great with cornbread.
This is not my original recipe, it comes from the Ball Blue Book and is meant to be used for canning. In my house, a half batch of this gets eaten too quickly to be canned.