- A step up from the old traditional apple pie.
- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:1 9 or 10" pie
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) mace
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) super rich butter powder (buy from Baker's Catalog/optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) grated cheddar cheese (or a combination of Cheddar/Jack cheeses)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) brandy
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) to 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced (I prefer Jonagold apples)
- Dough for 2-crust pie
- milk, for brushing pie top
- cinnamon, as desired
- sugar, as desired
- Line pie pan with one crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, flour, cheese(s), butter powder and chopped walnuts, if used, well; set aside.
- Toss peeled and sliced apples in the above mixture.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp (30 ml) brandy over all and toss lightly once again.
- Arrange in bottom crust.
- Dot with 3 tbsp (45 ml) to 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter cut into small bits.
- Place on top crust, cut holes to vent.
- Brush top with milk, and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cover loosely with foil (to prevent over-browning of top).
- Bake an additional 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Cool on rack.
- This is my personal twist on the traditional apple pie--hope you enjoy it!
This recipe can also be made with fresh pears. Subsitute Cheddar with ALL Jack cheese and use Amaretto instead of brandy; replacing walnuts with SLICED almonds. My husband thinks the "pear" version of this recipe is, "Wonderful!"