- Shirley Rosiek
Serves/Makes:7 or more pints
- 10 medium cucumbers OR
- 20 smaller cucumbers
- 8 cups (1900 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mixed pickling spice[loose]
- 4 tsp (20 ml). canning salt
- 4 cups (950 ml) white vinegar
- Wash and cover whole cucumbers with boiling water.
- Let stand over night.
- Drain.Repeat for 3 more days. (Freshly boiled water each day).
- On 5th day drain; discard water.
- Cut pickles into bite size pieces, return to jar.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil and pour over chunks in gallon jar.
- Let stand 2 more days.
- Drain liquid into sauce pot,bring to boil.
- Place chunks into sterlized jars.
- Add boiled liquid to half inch from top.
- Seal with sterilized lids.
- Process in hot water bath for 5 minutes.
- Start counting time when jars are placed in hot water.
- This may sound complicated, however it takes only a few minutes per day and the pickles are well worth the effort.