Serves/Makes:12 half pints
- 6 pounds Zucchini, peeled, cut and seeded
- 12 cups (2825 ml) white sugar
- 3 oranges with peel
- 2 lemons with peel
- 2 oz (56 grm). crystallized ginger
- Put zucchini through food grinder into bowl.
- Pour sugar over top.
- Cover and let stand on counter overnight.
- In morning, transfer to large pot.
- Cut oranges and lemons onto wedges, remove seeds.
- Put through food grinder with ginger.
- Add ground ingredients to zucchini and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil until thickened,stirring occasionally--this will take about 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Cool a small spoonful on chilled saucer to see if it jells.
- Fill hot sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch of top.
- I actually ground the fruit up the day before and added it on top of the zucchini. Saves cleaning up twice.
To test jams - place 1 tsp on chilled saucer. Chill. It should form a top skin, not run on saucer. A path drawn through with a spoon should reamin intact. Remove pot from heat when testing to prevent overcooking.
This is a nice orange coloured marmalade. Add a piece of gingham tied around the top with ribbon or rafia and give away as gifts at Xmas time. A good way to use up excess Zucchini.