Ken's Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 large chicken breasts, skinned, boned and halved OR
- 8 small chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- salt, black pepper and red pepper to taste
- 8 thin slices boiled ham
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour, seasoned
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) mushroom gravy
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). can sliced mushrooms, drained
- dash of Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces
- Make 1/4-inch thick cutlets of chicken by pounding with mallet.
- Sprinkle each with salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Place on each a slice of ham and cheese.
- Roll, jelly-roll fashion, pressing to seal well, and tie each with string.
- Coat with flour which has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Set oven at 350 degrees (175 C.) to preheat.
- In a frying pan, brown chicken on all sides in butter.
- Remove to an 11 inch x 7 inch baking dish and cut string away from each roll.
- In the remaining butter, saute onions, celery and green pepper until soft.
- Add gravy, mushrooms and sauces and cook until thick.
- Pour over chicken and cover dish with foil.
- Bake one hour, remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Here's a gourmet French dish with a South Louisiana flair!