Chicken Liver Pate Mousse
- Vicky Bryant (found on internet)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). chicken livers
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml). unflavoured gelatin
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) tawny port
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soft butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) quatre epice (see comments below)
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) grated nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) heavy cream
- 48 crisped crostini
- Step 1:
- Clean livers and trim off all gristle.
- Heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, add diced onion and saut until soft.
- Add minced shallots and saut for two minutes.
- Add livers and saut over high heat until just stiff.
- Step 2:
- Soften gelatin in port and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Put sauce in blender and add livers.
- Blend until smooth; strain and let cool.
- Step 3:
- Cream the 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter in a small bowl.
- Add spices and nutmeg and little by little add the liver puree.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Whip the cream and fold into the liver mixture.
- Chill well.
- Serve with crostini.
- Make mousse one day ahead to let flavors develop
**A French phrase meaning "four spices," referring to any of several finely ground spice mixtures. Though there's no standard mixture for quatre epices, the blend is usually mixed from the following selection: pepper (usually white), nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon or cloves. Quatre epices is used to flavor soups, stews and vegetables.