- Simple Everyday all American Chicken Dinner from the heart of the 50's.
- Peek from 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can sliced mushrooms, drained (reserve 1/4 cup (60 ml) fluid)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) light cream
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) chicken broth**
- 2 cups (475 ml) cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). jar pimiento, chopped
- Toast cups (Recipe below) or Patty shells
- In a large skillet, cook and stir mushrooms and green pepper in butter 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream, broth and reserved mushroom liquid.
- Heat to boiling, stirring contantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and pimiento; heat through.
- Serve hot in Toast cups or Patty shells.
- * If using self-rising flour, decrease salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
**Chicken broth can be made by dissolving 2 chicken bouillon cubes or equivalent) in 1 3/4 cups boiling water, or use one 1 can about 14 ounces of chicken broth.
How to make Toast Cups:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Trim crusts from thinkly sliced fresh bread; spread with soft butter or margarine. Press buttered side down into muffin cups. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly toasted.