Iceberg Salad with Creamy Cooked Salad Dressing
- A crisp cold wedge of Iceberg Lettuce and cooked dressing is Americana to the Max!
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 large head Iceberg Lettuce
- Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pineapple syrup (sugared juice)
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) chilled whipping cream, whipped
- Salad Directions:
- Core head of lettuce and rinse and drain carefully to keep it all together.
- Cut the head in half and then in wedge sections to make 3-4 wedges per side of the head, use more heads if it is too small to do this.
- Place each wedge on a salad/bread plate and pour from a large spoon the Creamy Cooked Dressing.
- Salad Dressing Directions:
- Mix sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir in the vinegar and pineapple syrup.
- Bring to a boil constantly stirring.
- Stir about 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the hot mixtue into the egg yolks until blended.
- Immediately, blend this egg yolk mixture into the mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat; blend in the butter.
- Cool and chill.
- Blend chilled mixture into whipped cream.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Before Kraft, Seven Seas, and Hidden Valley Dressings, this was a staple in most American homes. It was even served over gelatin salads and used over cold meat and cheese salads too. Try it over a big salad of leftover turkey, some cheese, lots of greens and a mix of veggies and some added nuts, grapes and pineapple for a truly outstanding "Chef Salad".