- 4 medium-sized fresh tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). olive oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). powdered mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups (950 ml) mixture of torn baby lettuces or other bite-sized salad greens
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crumbled goat or feta cheese (about 2 oz (56 grm).)
- Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato and discard.
- Cut remaining tomatoes (horizontally) into four slices each and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and sugar until well-blended.
- In a medium bowl, toss greens with about 1 tbsp (15 ml). of the dressing.
- On each of four plates, place a bottom tomato slice.
- Sprinkle lightly with cheese and greens.
- Repeat layering three more times ending with the top tomato slice.
- Drizzle with remaining dressing.
- Serve as an appetizer or salad course.
This dish is as beautiful as it is delicious!