Ham and Broccoli Wrap-Arounds
- Ham wrapped around broccoli spears in swiss cheese and white wine sauce. Rich delicious main dish for supper.
- Susan Doocy
- 8 slices cooked ham, about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 packages frozen broccoi spears (or fresh steamed), drained
- 3 cups (700 ml) French bread, toasted and cubed small
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) dry white wine
- 3 cups (700 ml) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) prepared brown mustard
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) garlic powder
- Wrap the ham slices around the broccoli spear.
- Place them in a greased 12 x 8 inch shallow ovenproof casserole baking dish and sprinkle with bread cubes.
- Heat the wine in saucepan.
- Mix the cheese and flour and gradually add to wine while stirring until smooth.
- Stir in the mustard and garlic powder.
- Pour sauce over all the ham wraps in the casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- I serve this with a tossed greens salad with a simple light lemon viniagrette and an apple fruit cup, recipe below:
Apple Fruit Cup
4-5 large apples (each a different variety and color if possible); 1/2 cup raisins; 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped well; 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice; 3 tablespoon honey; 1 pinch of cinnamon. Rinse well, core and chop apples into bite-size chunks. Place the apples in a mixing bowl and add the raisins and walnuts, toss. In a separate bowl, mix the lemon juice, honey and cinnamon and blend well. Pour the honey mixture over the apple mixture and toss to cover all the fruit and nuts well. Chill and serve in pretty fruit cups. This also is a wonderful filling to bake in Puff Pastry or Phyllo Dough Cups for a baked apple dessert served with french vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.