Old Fashioned Pumpkin Fudge
- Rich and sweet with the savory spicey flavor of pumpkin. A special treat for the Holidays.
Serves/Makes:1 1/2 pounds
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mashed pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk (use whole milk)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Optional two drops of orange food coloring
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup, pumpkin, salt, pumpkin pie spice, milk, and condensed milk.
- Place over medium high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occassionally, until the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage, 238 degrees (125 C.).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until still slightly hot.
- Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the vanilla extract and food coloring if desired. (This fudge is a good natural pumpkin color without it, but it will get oranger if you like it brighter).
- Beat with a spoon until the mixture is very thick, creamy, and beings to hold its shape and lose it's shine.
- Pour into a baking pan or refrigerator tray (about a 5x9 inches) which has been lined with buttered aluminum foil.
- Smooth the top of the fudge and allow to set until cool and firm.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
- This is a nice gift to bring to a hostess for Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. It is a special treat for very special personal friends at Halloween too!