- Delicious and simple "bread, eggs and cheese casserole" for a luncheon or light supper with good nutrition.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more servings
- 12 slices of bread
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). (2 cups) cheese of your choice, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) milk
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) mustard
- Arrange the bread and cheese in alternate layers in a greased baking dish (bread on the bottom and top layers).
- Combine the eggs, milk and seasonings.
- Pour over the bread and cheese.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Bake in a moderate oven of 350 degrees (175 C.) for about an hour or until a knife comes out clean from the center.
- A fruit cup or a tossed green salad, or both, and it's a complete meal.
Note 1: Use a good quality or a bakery bread for this recipe, the cheap "store barnd white air bread" works, but can't hold up well, and mooshes out too much.
Note 2: Use your imagination and layer some steamed vegetables or fresh sliced tomatoes to enhance this recipe to include flavor you like too! We like to use fresh tomatoes thinly sliced, sweet basil leaves (crushed is fine), with a combination of cheeses of usually parmesan, motzerella, and and added 1 cup of ricotta.