- Try just one of these, you won't be able to stop. Mushrooms with savory curry, onion, lemon and butter simply rolled and baked. Appetizers Deluxe!
- Laura and Jay's Mom
Serves/Makes:12 or more rolls
- 12 to 14 thin slices of white bread
- softened butter
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- Dash of cayenne
- Additional melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Remove the crusts from the bread slices and roll each slice to 1/8" thickness with a rolling pin.
- Spread the surface of each slice thinly with softened butter and set it aside.
- Saute the mushrooms until tender in 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter mixed with the curry powder and lemon juice.
- Add the salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Spread about 1 tbsp (15 ml) of this mixture over each slice of buttered bread.
- Roll like a jelly roll and fasten the ends with toothpicks.
- Brush each roll with a little melted butter.
- Heat in the oven for about 10 minutes, until brown.
- Serve hot.
- These are great to make in advance, freeze them immediately, when you are ready to make them, thaw them for about 30 minutes, or until they are cold but not rocks anymore. Bake for 5-10 minutes longer, check for doneness if you do this.
Try these with a pungent cheese ball, a selection of crackers and pieces of sourdough baguettes and a good Washington State Reisling wine, or your favorite!