Wild Rice Chicken Casserole
- Sandi Lockhart
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). package long grain and wild rice mix
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced celery
- 1 3 oz (84 grm). can sliced mushrooms
- 1 2 oz (56 grm). jar diced pimiento
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) vermouth
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in butter in a large skillet.
- Spoon rice into casserole dish and arrange chicken on top.
- Deglaze skillet with vermouth.
- Add soup and stir until smooth.
- Add mushrooms, celery and pimiento.
- Heat to boiling.
- Pour sauce over chicken and rice.
- Cover and bake 350 degrees (175 C.) for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 20 minutes more.
- I much prefer Uncle Ben's Original Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix to any other brand or variety.
Other chicken pieces could easily be substituted for breasts, and any white wine could be used instead of vermouth.