All-Time Favorite Apple Crisp
- Lower fat version of an old favorite!
- Donna Rice
Serves/Makes:12 small servings
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plus 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plus 1/3 cup (80 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). baking apples
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) old fashioned oats
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) cold margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 qt. frozen nonfat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Lightly coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix 2 tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar, 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour, 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt in processor bowl.
- Add vanilla to food processor and pulse to combine, about 10 seconds or put in a medium bowl and work with ahnds until well mixed.
- Put lemon juice in large bowl.
- Peel apples and cut into 1/4 inch slices (you need about 7 cups).
- Add to bowl, tossing with juice frequently.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread in baking dish.
- Combine oats, remaining brown sugar, remaining flour, remaining cinnamon, and remaining salt in medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, work margarine into flour mixture until coarse crumbs appear.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake until topping is golden and apples are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Serve with scoops of frozen yogurt.
- Another card group hit. We had it for brunch without the frozen yogurt. Would make a great dessert. Not overly sweet like some versions!
Per serving: 266 calories/22% from fat.