- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). Monterey Jack cheese
- 30 cloves garlic
- 4 cups (950 ml) oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian seasoning
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 3 cups (700 ml) fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Marinara Sauce
- Slice cheese into 30 slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Peel garlic and slice each clove lengthwise into about 6 ovals.
- Heat oil in deep, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic ovals and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, being careful not to burn or brown cloves.
- Remove slices as they float to the surface and are light brown in color.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Reserve oil for cheese.
- Mince garlic and mix with Italian seasoning.
- Spread half the cheese slices evenly with garlic mixture.
- Press remaining cheese slices on each of make 15 bars.
- Dip flour-coated pieces into egg again, then into bread crumbs mixed with parsley. Be sure to cover sides.
- Reheat oil to medium-high and fry cheese in oil a few pieces at a time until lightly browned (takes about 2 minutes).
- Drain cheese on paper towels and keep warm until all are fried.
- Serve with toothpicks and Marinara Sauce for dipping.
Recipe By: http://www.cdkitchen.com,
Editors Note: I have found that chilling the cheese after it has been coated helps in keeping it from melting through until the breading is crisp and sealed.
This is also excellent made with Mozzarella cheese.