- Very FlavorFULL, easy & fast
- Sheila Kosko
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- 1 cup (225 ml) water (just enough to clean the tomato cans)
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). dried minced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sage
- 1 tsp (5 ml). thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- dash of garlic powder
- 1 lb (.5 kg). hamburger
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sausage (any flavor)
- cooked pasta
- Put all ingredients except meat in a large pot over medium heat.
- While sauce is warming, cook and drain meat; add to sauce.
- After sauce comes to a boil turn down to med-low heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 to 45 minutes or longer if you like.
- Stir about every 10 minutes or so.
- Ladle over pasta (Ziti is especially yummy with this sauce).
- This makes a thick meaty sauce which is also excellent for lasagne. If you prefer a more pourable sauce you can add an extra cup of water and cook it down until you get the conistency you like. And I know, that's a lot of oil! But trust me, it makes the sauce taste delicious!
Tip 1: If you like a sweet sauce add an extra tbsp. of sugar or use maple flavor sausage.
Tip 2: This sauce is even better the next day so make it the day before, then simply warm it up.