- Quick Bread
Serves/Makes:1 13 x 9 inch pan
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or shortening plus 1 tbsp
- 1-3/4 tsp (9 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). nutmeg
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Blend flour, sugar, salt and butter (shortening) together until crumb-like.
- Remove 1/2 cup (125 ml) and save for topping.
- Add to crumb mixture: baking powder, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix thoroughly.
- Add buttermilk and eggs and mix until smooth.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top of batter.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 20 min.
- They used to serve this in the California elementary school I went to. I loved it so much that I asked the lunch ladies for the recipe, just so my mom could make it. My kids love it just as much as I did.