Swampman Dan's Drunken Chicken
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) salad oil
- 2 3 lbs (1.4 kg). to 3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). fryers, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) soy sauce
- 2 green onions, cut in 1-inch lengths
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). can beer
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch blended with 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot cooked rice
- Heat oil in a 5-quart kettle over medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, and cook until browned on all sides.
- Discard excess fat.
- Return all chicken to kettle.
- Add garlic, soy, ginger, onion, beer, and coriander.
- Bring to a boil; cover.
- Bake in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for one hour, or until thigh meat near bone is no longer pink when slashed.
- Remove chicken to platter and keep warm.
- Skim fat from pan drippings.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon some of the sauce over chicken and pass remaing sauce at the table.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.