French Quarter Green Bean Casserole
- From Southern Living (December, 1980)
- 3 9 oz (252 grm). packages frozen French-style green beans
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). butter or margarine
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 3 oz (84 grm). package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dried onion flakes
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml). shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 2-1/2 oz (70 grm). package slivered almonds
- Cook green beans according to package directions; drain.
- Melt margarine in a Dutch oven; add soup and cream cheese.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in green beans, onion flakes, water chestnuts, garlic salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 quarts (1900 ml) casserole.
- Top with almonds; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 45 minutes.