- 8 oz (224 grm). leftover bread, hard crusts removed
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk (more or less, depending on dryness of bread)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- oil or butter, or equal amounts of each
- Toppings that taste good with French toast
- Break bread into pieces; combine with milk, and work with your hand until all the milk has been absorbed and the bread is soft.
- Add the eggs, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Heat about 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil/butter in a frying pan.
- For each pancake place approximately 3 tbsp (45 ml) of batter in oil.
- Spread with back of spoon so it is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and 3 to 4 inches wide.
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat roughly 3 minutes on each side.
- This tastes like French toast. Don't worry about exact amounts. Just gather up bread, soften it, then guess how many eggs will hold it together.
Variations: Add finely diced fruit to the bread mixture; serve with sour cream and powdered sugar. Savory version: Omit sugar; add 1/2 t. pepper and 1 c. minced green scallions.
Adapted from early Jacques Pepin cookbook