Chocolate Covered Cherries
- 48 marachino cherries with stems
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml). butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sifted confectioners sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). vanilla extract
- 2 cups (475 ml) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). shortening
- Beat butter in bowl until light, add sugar gradually mixing constantly.
- Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Drain cherries on paper towels until dry.
- Shape a small amount of mixture around cherries, remember to keep the mixture and covered cherries cold and firm.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in a double boiler.
- Dip covered cherries in chocolate and place on waxed paper.
- Chill until chocolate is firm.