Baked Chicken in Clay Cookware
- Pampered Chef
- 1 roasting chicken, 5-1/2 lbs (2.5 kg). to 6-1/2 lbs (3 kg).
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from cavity of chicken.
- Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat, if necessary.
- Cut lemon into slices and onion into quarters; place in cavity of chicken.
- Tie ends of legs together with cotton string. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken in clay baker, breast side up.
- Lightly spray surface of chicken with olive or vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning mix, rubbing gently.
- Place lid on clay baker.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Using oven mitts carefully remove lid from baker, lifting away from you.
- Continue baking chicken, uncovered, 15-30 minutes or until themometer registers 180 degrees (80 C.) in meaty part of thigh and juices run clear.
- Let stand 10 minutes before carving.
- Editors Note: Some clay bakers recommend soaking the top of the baker in water before using each time. Read instructions on your particular brand.