Meatloaf with Lemon Slices
- Meatloaf with a wonderful glaze and lemon garnish
- Meat Loaf:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) parsley leaves
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 thin slices of firm white bread, torn in pieces
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lean beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsps. seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). freshly graded nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml). spicy tomato-vegetable juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 ml). dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). freshly graded nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). dark brown sugar
- dash of Tabasco
- 1 lemon, scored and ends cut flat
- 1 lemon, scored and ends cut fl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Insert metal blade in work bowl of food processor.
- Put the parsley in the work bowl.
- Turn the machine on and drop the onion through the feed tube.
- With the machine still running, add the bread and process the mixture for 5 seconds.
- Transfer it to a large bowl.
- Finely chop the beef in batches, by "pulsating", turning the machine on and off, until the meat is of desired texture.
- Add the seasonings, tomato juice, egg and the bread mixture to half of the meat and process the mixture for 1 second. Please note timing is important so meat is not over-processed.
- Add the mixture to other half of meat and combine gently, but well, preferably by hand.
- Shape the mixture into a freeform loaf in a small roasting pan.
- Process the glaze ingredients to combine them well and spread the glaze on the meat loaf.
- Slice the lemon utilizing the thin slicing disc of the food processor and firm, even pressure, and arrange the slices over the loaf.
- Bake the meat loaf for 1 hour, pour off the fat and transfer the loaf to a platter.
- This meat is fantastic when hot, but it's equally good served cold, thinly sliced for sandwiches.
Since this is a bit or work, several meat loaves can be made at a time. Put them on foil lined baking sheets and freeze them, unbaked. When they are frozen wrap them tightly in foil. Let the frozen meat loaves thaw in the refrigerator. Glaze and garnish each before baking as described above. Enjoy--