Rich Ham and Cheese Strata
- A great breakfast casserole!
- Susan E.
- 3 cups (700 ml) french bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups (700 ml) cooked ham, cubed
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). chedder cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dry mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- Butter a straight sided 8 1/2 X 11 inch baking dish.
- Make a layer of 1/3 bread, ham and cheese.
- Mix flour and mustard in a cup; sprinkle about 1 tbsp (15 ml) over layer.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter over layer.
- Repeat with bread, ham and cheese, then flour mixture and butter to make 2 more layers.
- Over top layer, sprinkle remainder of flour mixture.
- Beat eggs with milk until foamy.
- Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Cover, chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 1 hour or until golden.
- From Stuart Hall Cooks, Staunton Virginia, August 1980.
(Referred to in this cookbook as a fondue but not a fondue at all.)