Baked Chicken in Clay Cookware
- Bird Greer
- 1 3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) tightly packed parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter or margarine at room temp.
- 4 or more small carrots trimmed, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 8 small to medium fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). crushed hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) canned unsalted tomatoes
- 1 pkg. wide noodles, cooked
- Place clay pot in a basin of cold water and let it soak for at least 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Sprinkle inside of the chicken with half the ground pepper.
- Stuff cavity with onion, parsley and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle outside of the chicken with the remaining ground pepper.
- Rub the breast and legs of the chicken with butter or margarine.
- Arrange the chicken breast side up in the bottom of the clay pot.
- Arrange the carrot pieces and mushrooms around the chicken.
- Sprinkle with hot red pepper.
- Place pieces of tomatoe on top of the vegetables.
- Cover the pot with the lid.
- Place in the oven and bake at 450 degrees (225 C.) for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Carve the chicken and serve it with it's natural juices.
- This recipe came from Craig Claiborne's Gourmet Diet Cookbook.
We enjoy the recipe and I always serve it with wide cooked noodles and makes a tasty meal.