- Carmalized roasted vegetables so loaded with flavor and nutrition. A Wonderful touch of simple french cooking for everyday to beginning cooks.
- Kista Cook
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 eggplant
- 1 or more large sweet onions
- 2 or more large fresh red tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried thyme OR
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) or a handful of fresh thyme sprigs to strip leaves.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Slice 1/2" thick rounds of eggplant and peel off skin. Salt and rest for 1 hour, rinse well.
- Oil a flat baking dish and lay the slices in. Lightly Salt the slices to taste.
- Slice 1/4" thick rounds of large onions and lay on the eggplant.
- Slice 1/4" rounds from large tomatoes and lay on the onion.
- Sprinkle with a touch more salt, some thyme and then drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in a slow oven about 325 degrees (175 C.) for at least 1 1/2 hours, until vegetables are caramelized and soft.
- Serve warm or at rested to room temperature as a side dish to your entree or as the entree of a meatless luncheon.
- Excellent served with sauteed scallops or a succulent lamb chops. Fresh bakery Italian or a fragrant french baguette is almost a sin to forget with this delectible dish. Don't forget to add a crisp cold tossed greens salad with a light lemon viniagrette!