- 6 medium sweet onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar
- In heavy skillet, melt butter and vegetable oil.
- Add onions and saute until they are slightly brown.
- Season with salt.
- Reduce heat, stirring constantly until caramel color and tender.
- Stir in brown sugar until dissolved.
- Put in jars and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- May be heated again.
- Serve with chicken or turkey.
- From Rock Springs Sweet Onion Festival Cook Book 1992
I submit this recipe since no one has offered another. It does not contain tomato but it would be easy to add some well-drained good quality canned tomatoes after the onions are sauteed, and then cook down the mixture until it is thick.