Serves/Makes:1 9 inch pie
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). allspice
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1 cup (225 ml) canned evaporated milk
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 9 inch pie shell, baked
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees (150 C.).
- In a saucepan, heat pumpkin, salt and spices to blend flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Add milks; cook until heated through.
- Pur e eggs and yolks in a blender.
- With blender running, add pumpkin filling a spoonful at a time at first, then faster as eggs heat up; blend to form a silky texture.
- Pour warm filling into prebaked pie shell.
- Bake until a thin-bladed knife inserted near center of pie comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Copyright 2001 USA WEEKEND
I submit this recipe because the requester wants a creamy pie. This pie is exceptionally creamy. Ginger and allspice can be omitted by the requester who wants only cinnamon.
At www.usaweekend.com you will find the cooking column that describes how this recipe was developed.