Sweet-Sour-Tangy Barbecue Sauce
- For Those Backyard Cookouts
- Tom McCort
Serves/Makes:6 cups, approx.
- 2 cups (475 ml) tomato juice
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) cornstarch
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) red sweet pepper finely, diced
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) liquid smoke
- Place 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the water in a bowl and mix with the cornstarch to make a thin paste.
- Place remaining water & tomato juice in a large sauce pan.
- Add the sugar & soy sauce.
- Bring to a low boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and simmer until thickened.
- Add the vegetables, ginger and chili powder.
- Continue simmering until vegetables are tender (just a few minutes).
- Add the vinegar, hot sauce & liquid smoke.
- Stir, simmering another minute, then remove from heat.
- Sauce can be stored in refrigerator for several weeks.
- Some barbecue sauce recipes can be intimidating with all of the arcane ingredients and instructions -- I've seen some that would make a chemistry professor weep. This one is quick & easy to prepare and your guests will give it rave reviews.