- This recipe is from the 40's. It is one that is most often sought and searched for, and here it IS!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:2 round or loaf pans
- 1 lb (.5 kg). marshmallows
- 1 can carnation milk, large size
- 1 box Ritz or Hi-Ho crackers (probably a pound box as they used to have in the 40's)
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). candied cherries
- 1 pkg. dates (probably 12 16 oz (448 grm), remember, this is from the 40's)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). candied pineapple
- 1 box coconut (again, probably 12-16 ounces)
- 1 box white raisins (once more, probably 12-16 ounces)
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). pecans
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). citron
- Melt marshmallows in milk, over low heat, then set aside to cool.
- Crush crackers fine and add to prepared fruit, cut up, and marshmallow mixture.
- Press into pans and place in refrigerator.
- This keeps well for up to six weeks in the refrigerator.
- I got this recipe the other day from a very, very dearly beloved woman who I have known for most of my life. She is in her 80's now and whereas I have never made this myself, I can attest to it's delicousness from eating it many, many times. This was a favorite for all of us growing up. It tastes like the best cake/candy. Sliced pieces rolled in powdered sugar, and it would be candy! Enjoy!
And, please give credit for this recipe to: S. Chokel's friend, Jane H. of Minneapolis, MN. I doubt this appears anywhere else on the internet.