Potted Cheddar and Beer Spread
- cheese spread
- from the kitchen of tracey miles
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). or 6 cups (1425 ml) extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). can beer
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) butter, softened
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) worscestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
- In large bowl, combine cheese and beer. Let stand 30 minutes or until cheese softens.
- In food processor with knife blade attached, blend cheese mixture, butter and remaining ingredients 3 to 5 minutes until smooth.
- Pack cheese into crocks or decorative airtight containers and store in refrigerator up to one month or in freezer up to three months.
- To serve, let cheese stand at room temperature 30 minutes or until soft enough to spread.
- The flavors in this recipe were borrowed from the famous dish, welsh rabbit, where cheddar cheese and beer ar melted together and served over toast. Include some nice biscuits with this, such as wafer crackers or plain flatbread crisps.