Acorns (from oaks - not acorn squash)
- from 'Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean Auel
- self raising flour
- maple syrup
- Grind acorns to a powder.
- Soak the acorns in water over several days, changing the water each day.
- Add enough flour to make a dough.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Bake until golden.
- Soak dried cakes in syrup and let dry.
- This is a rough guide only, try reading the original book for the method, it is in the clan gathering section.
Soaking releases the bitterness, and the timing of soaking and powdering steps may need adjusting. Also acorns used to be used as a coffee substitute.