- mrs wiggs
Serves/Makes:1 pan full
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until it's mealy.
- Add water and mix well.
- Roll dough into a rectangle on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Spread with butter and 1 cup (225 ml) sugar.
- Roll dough up from long side like jelly roll.
- Slice in 1 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place in a greased 10" round cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Combine milk with 1 cup (225 ml) sugar and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil and pour over pie.
- Return to oven and bake about 7 minutes longer.
- This recipe came from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram in 1993.