- Cheryl Watson
Serves/Makes:1 2 lb. loaf
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). molasses
- 2-2/3 cups (625 ml) bread flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) wheat bran
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 10 grain cereal (I used 9 grain cereal)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). rye flakes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). powdered caramel coloring
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). diastatic malt powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp (10 ml). to 3 tsp (15 ml) yeast (use the amount of yeast you usually use for a whole wheat bread)
- Place in bread machine in order recommended by the manufacturer.
- I use my machine to make dough and bake it in the oven because you get a much better crust.
- To get a shiny crust I make a wash of malt syrup (honey would work just as well) and water to brush on just before baking.
- A dough enhancer with diastatic malt powder and vital wheat gluten can be substituted for them.
- I bought a loaf of Chart House Squaw Bread at Costco, took
the list of ingredients and after many loaves have come
up with this recipe. I bake my bread with sourdough instead
of yeast but have converted the recipe into one with yeast.
You may have to play a little with the brown sugar
if it is too sweet or not sweet enough.