Stuffed Mushroom Appetizers
- 1 lb (.5 kg). large fresh white mushrooms (about 24), cleaned
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). vegetable oil, divided
- 4 oz (112 grm). bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup (125 ml). plus 2 tbsp (30 ml). shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Remove stems from mushrooms, finely chop enough stems to equal 1/2 cup (125 ml) and set aside.
- Place mushroom caps in a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp (15 ml). oil.
- Arrange caps, cavity side up, on a shallow baking pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml). oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage, green onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and reserved chopped mushroom stems.
- Cook, stirring, breaking sausage into smaller pieces with a fork, for about five minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup (125 ml) mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese and stir just until the cheese melts.
- Stuff mushroom caps with sausage mixture; sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml). mozzarella.
- (Mushrooms may be made up to one day ahead to this point.)
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Very tasty appetizers.