Old Fashioned Breakfast Butter Muffins
- Delicous muffins, not high risers, but packed with flavor, and fruits and nuts with a sweet sticky drizzled topping. A Favorite for anytime.
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) raisins (Try your favorite chopped dried fruits)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts (try Macadamia Nuts or your favorite!)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) corn syrup (Thick Grade B Maple Syrup is SUPERB as a substitution if you can get it)
- In a large saucepan, place the raisins, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla and over medium heat, cook stirring constantly until mixture is ver warm and thickened, (do not boil but until the very first sign of a bubble, about 4-5 minutes).
- On ice or in the refrigerator, cool the mixture uncovered until warm, but not hot.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and pour in warm raisin mixture, the nuts and stirring until just moistened, do not overwork!
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin and bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick come clean from the center of a muffin.
- Remove from the oven and immediately spoon 1 tsp (5 ml) of corn syrup over each muffin. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes then remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.