- Zippy Pickled Eggs are a treat (or considered a horror by some)! This is the BEST recipe for them I've ever tried.
- S. Chokel
- 2 cups (475 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pickling spice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) celery seed
- 1 dozen hard cooked eggs, (shelled)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lb (.5 kg). can of beets
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spices, salt and celery seed.
- Bring to a boil and simmer; let cool.
- Once the pickling solution has cooled, add the beets and stir until well blended.
- Place the eggs comfortably in a wide mouth large jar or well sealing pitcher.
- Pour pickling solution over the eggs and add 1 garlic clove.
- Let sit in the refridgerator for at least 2-3 days before serving.
- Sliced pickled eggs is a pretty additon to any relish tray, or pop them for snacks! I learned and like to have them with kippers or other smoked fish, and salads, I think it is an old country thing.