- Arizona Tart
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 whole cut-up chicken (see substitutions at comment section)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 4 cups (950 ml) raw rice, soaked and drained
- 7-1/2 cups (1775 ml) water
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- Seasonings to taste:
- plain yogurt
- hot sauce
- In a bowl, cover rice with water and allow to soak 1/2 to 1 hour.
- In a large pot, saute onions, tomatoes and meat in oil.
- Add spices to taste and simmer for about 10 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Add 7-1/2 cups (1775 ml) water and simmer until meat is tender.
- Drain rice which has been soaking and add to pot.
- Add tomato paste.
- Cook until water has been absorbed.
- Serve with plain yogurt, hot sauce, and fresh tossed greens and vegetable salad.
- This is a very traditional dish in Saudi Arabia and most parts of the Middle East.
1 1/2 pounds of lamb, stewing beef, or your favorite meat is fine.