- Make this sauce as the Easter or Christmas ham is resting to slice. Excellent flavor and a nice touch!
- Susan Doocy
Serves/Makes:1 1/2 cups approx.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) ham fat
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 tablespooon grated orange peel
- 1 cup (225 ml) orange juice
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) water
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins
- Place fat in top of double boiler and melt if necessary.
- Add the flour and blend.
- Combine the water, orange juice and sugar and add very slowly to the fat-flour mixture.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and add the raisins.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and stir frequently.
- Remove from the heat and add orange and lemon peel.
- Serve hot in a little crock or pitcher to use with ham slices.
- Note: This is is an excellent sauce to serve with roast pork or chicken. Omit the ham fat and use butter.