Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
- Terri McKibbon
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic-large
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml). minced pickled jalapeno chilies
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) or more chipitole in adobo
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 5 cups (1175 ml) milk
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can plum tomatoes, juice discarded, tomatoes chopped and drained well
- 1 lb (.5 kg). elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (475 ml) Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 2 cups (475 ml) extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) freshly grated parmasan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- In heavy saucepan cook onion, garlic, jalapenos, in butter over moderate heat, stirring until onion is soft.
- Stir flour into mixture; cook about 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream while whisking; bring to boil, whisking, and whisk in tomatoes.
- Simmer mixture 2 minutes then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook macaroni and drain.
- In large bowl combine noodles with mixture and cheeses; stir well.
- Transfer to buttered baking dish (3 quarts (2850 ml) au gratin dish).
- Stir bread crumbs and parmesan together; sprinkle over noodles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- This recipe is a must in my house all year round.