- Delicious sweet and sour (oil, vinegar, and sugar dressing) slaw that is a German tradition, and an American Favorite.
- 1 small to medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped small
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) salad oil, (corn, vegetable, canola, your choice)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) celery seed
- Optional: 1 2 cup (475 ml) shredded carrots
- Combine cabbage, green pepper, onion and optional carrots if using together and mix well, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar, vinegar, oil, salt, and celery seed. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over the slaw, blend to coat all vegetables well, chill and serve.
- Many times, I add crushed pineapple, apples, and carrots for a really fun and tasty slaw.