- Tastes like an expensive brand
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). can tomatoes, undrained (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground allspice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sugar
- 4 drops to 6 drops Tabasco
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- Simmer tomatoes, onion, celery and green pepper until vegetables are tender.
- Let cool until safe to put in a blender (which can erupt if contents are hot).
- Pulse (turn on and off quickly) in blender until vegetables are finely chopped but not liquidized.
- Put back in pan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered until thick, stirring every five minutes or so.
- Taste and adjust sugar, vinegar or Tabasco if necessary.
- Starts at 3 cups (700 ml), cooks down to 2 cups (475 ml).
- If you don't have allspice, put in a tiny amount of nutmeg and a very small pinch of ground cloves, just a whisper. Too much and it will overwhelm the other flavors. I can't remember where I got this recipe, long ago.