Mussels, Tomatoes, and Roasted Peppers
- Terri Mckibbon
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 lb (.5 kg). tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (475 ml) dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 7 oz (196 grm). jar Italian-style roasted peppers
- 4 dozen mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Heat oil in large pot on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Process peppers with liquid in processor until pureed.
- Add pureed mixture to tomato mixture.
- Cook 30 minutes.
- Add more wine if mixture is too dry.
- Increase heat to medium and arrange mussels on tomato mixture; cook 5 minutes.
- Discard any mussels that don't open.
- Remove mussels and discard top half of shell for each.
- Return mussels to sauce, discard bay leaf.
- Excellent taste.....